The two word utterance by the richest Business man Elon Musk gives popularity to the Signal App over night. Elon Musk with full name Elon Reeve Musk FRS is a business tycoon, industrial designer and engineer. He is the founder, CEO, CTO and chief designer of SpaceX; early investor, CEO and product architect of Tesla, Inc., founder of The Boring Company; co-founder of Neuralink; and co-founder and initial co-chairman of OpenA Musk said “Use Signal,” the Tesla Inc. chief executive officer wrote on Twitter on Jan. 7th, apparently referring to the encrypted messaging service. By the end of the day, Signal Advance Inc. shares had surged more than six times.
The tweet is retweeted by Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey soon after, Signal tweeted that it was working to handle the surge of new users.
Well, this isn’t the first time that Musk has publicly sparred with Facebook over privacy concerns. In 2018, he not only had his own personal Facebook page removed, but those of his companies Tesla and SpaceX. His take on the long-fought battle between Signal and WhatsApp isn’t off-base, though. However, both of the encrypted messaging apps have been found to have security bugs over the years that have been resolved. For years, WhatsApp has openly collected certain user data to share with parent company Facebook. Its latest policy amendments just expand that. Signal, however has a history of fighting any entity that asks for your data, and adds features to further protect by anonymizing you where ever possible. Signal is a typical one-tap install app that can be found in your normal marketplaces like Google and Apple play store, and it works just like the usual text messaging apps. It’s an open source development given free of
cost by the non-profit Signal Foundation, and has been famously used for years by high-profile privacy icons like Edward Snowden. . Now since Signal App is so admired among users let us discuss more about its usage and advantages over Watsapp.
First download and install Signal Private Messenger by App Store or Google PlayStore.
- iPhone users should tap on ‘Get’ to download the app.
- Select Install. iPhone users may be required to enter Apple ID credentials.
- Tap on the option Open.
- Enter your mobile number.
- iPhone users will be required to select ‘Activate This Device.’
- You will be directed to enter a six-digit code that the app will send you via SMS.
- Once you verify the code, tap on Submit. Users can manually verify the code or allow Signal to copy it directly.
- Signal will then request permission to send you notifications. Tap on the option Allow.
- You will be required to set your profile picture and name. This name will be displayed to your contacts on the app.
- Tap on Save or Skip as per your need.
Now Signal will need the sender as well as the receiver to download the app.
Android users can also set Signal as their default application. This will help users to keep their Signal messages and SMS at a single place. To enable this option, users must tap on use as default SMS app. Signal gets its users to send end-to-end encrypted messages in groups, text, picture, and audio and video messages, and make encrypted audio and video calls.